[AT] Fw: Steel

Jim & Lyn Evans jevans at evanstoys.com
Sun Mar 5 15:56:16 PST 2006

1018 is what most steel that you buy is made from.  Welds pretty easily.
1045 is a little better, mostly found in round bars, can be heat treated.
Machines easier than 1018. A lot of shafts are made from 1045.
11L17 is about the same strength as 1018. It has Lead in it. It can not be
heat treated or welded.  Machines really nice.
4130 and 4140 is a easily heat treated steel that a lot of shafts and gears
are made from.
A2 and A36 is air hardening tool steel.  Be careful as it can harden in the
middle of drilling a hole.
O1 is oil hardening tool steel.  It is fairly cheap and I keep a lot of this
stuff around to make shafts, etc out of.  I actually rarely harden it, but
small parts can be heated with a torch, quenched in oil, and tempered in a
kitchen oven. (make sure wife is not around).

All those steels are about the same hardness until they are heat treated.
I don't think the bolts are made from 1018 because it doesn't machine well.
The chinese bolts may be made from leaded steel.  A lot of US companies
don't used leaded steel because of the hazards of dealing with lead.

Jim.