[AT] Fw: Steel

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Sun Mar 5 12:41:07 PST 2006

There are two of those that I know off the top of my head
4130  41=steel    30 percent of carbon (medium  hardness)
4140  41=steel   40 percent of carbon  (really hard  steel)  Used where lots
of strength is required Can be made into very good  tools such as punches
chisels.

If you want to know a lot about the different steels then I suggest this
site and then download the cross reference  chart.  With 3500  different types
its hard to know them all.

_http://www.key-to-steel.com/_ (http://www.key-to-steel.com/)

It was a lot easier back in the old days when I was as a machinist building
Tree Shakers. But that was many years ago and about 3496 less types of  steel.

I did see one site where it said that the 1020-30 steel was junk  used for
cheap bolts.  giggle

Walt  Davies
Cooper Hollow Farm
Monmouth, OR 97361