[AT] Fw: Steel

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 5 11:31:29 PST 2006

>From: rdhaskell at juno.com
>To: sel at lists.stationary-engine.com, at at lists.antique-tractor.com
>Subject: [AT] Fw: Steel
>Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 10:24:08 -0800
>

>Ron Haskell
>rdhaskell at juno.com
>Riverside, California
>USA
>http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=3009370&f=0
>
>Hi Ron
>I have run across a supplier (ASAP Source Inc.) that lists different
>types of steel.
>Can you briefly tell me the difference?  Or is there an online resource?
>1018- low carbon - good cold forming  soft (Rb 80 or less)
>1045-  medium carbon  Will furnace harden to about high Rc40,s
>11L17 - Low carbon  Case harden in carbon atmosphere only
>4130 - Alloy steel Hard case in atmosphere/  mediun core
>4140 - Ditto, but higher core hardness after  treatment A-2 tool  -I think
>air harening tool steel
>A36  0-1 tool-  Oil hardening tool steel.High carbon  Furnace harden to
                 Rc 64 perhaps
You have a mix of different steels here produced by various processes.

Each has its own use and offers certain advantages for specific
applications.

>Do they go from softest to hardest?  Would a nut and bolt from home depot
>be 1018 (grade 2?).  If it is cold headed, yes or maybe 1008, 1010

The medium and high carbon grades and alloys require proper heat treatment
to obtain  useful hardness properties.  Try a google for
>hardness of steels, or heat treatment of steel<.  Should give a ton of
>results.

Note:  this reply is off the top of my noggin' and may be only so so
accurate.

Charlie