[Farmall] farmall b

david purpura davepurpura at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 5 04:13:20 PST 2006

Hi All.  Somehow a 1940 farmall b (serial number 14138) got my name and phone number, introduced itself, said all the right things and followed me home.  I needed another tractor (and another project) like I needed a hole in the head.  But now that I have it, I need some information on parts.

  The tractor was loose, not a speck of red paint in sight, but mostly all there when I got it Friday.  It's covered in cultivators, with the exhaust lift.  I think all that will be coming off, and I'll probably put a drawbar on and make it a wagon puller.  So that's the first part - drawbar.  The original seat is gone, but I think the support is there - two rails with lots of holes on top.  Part #2 - seat.  Someone buggered on what looks like a seat assembly from an h.  That rode up higher than original, so they boogered the steering shaft support tube - Part #3.  I took the carb apart to scrape out the coffee ice cream and broke the float seat, and broke the jet.  Parts #4 - are these available in a carb kit?  Should I look for a new used carb?  Anyone have experience with the $170 remanufactured carbs that I see in the catalog?

  It was running about two hours off the truck (with an epoxied together carb), and seems to run pretty well.  It's my first tractor without hydraulics and an electrical system.  It's so ugly that it's almost cute.  Anyone know what the width of the rear end should be?  It measure about 83" to the outside of the tires.  The serial number is FA B, I assume if it was a bn it would be FA BN..?

  dave

Yahoo! Mail
--0-749924233-1141560800=:11573

  the