[Farmall] Taking the Super A restoration plunge...

Greg Holmes nycsfan at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 4 11:48:31 PST 2006

The Super A discussion a few weeks back got me to finally pull the trigger on getting my Super A looking a little less "farm" (gets the work done great, but ain't pretty).

  I've already determined from this list some time back that I have a Franken-A. The fenders, differential housing (and shaft) seat frames and platform are definately off a "B"

  Here are some other "issues"

  The hole in the front grille does not line up with the holes for the hand crank. Since it's an electric starter it had been no big deal (until the starter nose gear stopped engaging the flywheel). Is the grill non-"A"?!? It lines up on the radiator just fine.

  The hood is, in fact, 25 3/4" long, not 25 1/2" any problems with that?

  Are the pedals, etc likely to be off a B if the platform is definately a B?

  Casting numbers:  engine block #354898
                              hydraulics #354352
                              bell housing #351687-R4

  Serial tag is too worn to read the number, but since it's a B tag anyhow it's a moot point.

  Engine runs great, no welds or cracks. Hydraulics are good, too.

  I have a couple Super A's available at the local bone-yard, but I want to be very precise about what I do and do not need.

  I plan on putting a new hood from OEM on (just too many perforations in the current one) and setting the fenders and differential correctly.

  All suggestions and advice are welcome.

  Greg

Yahoo! Mail
--0-102997803-1141501711=:84070