[AT] Another Oliver practical technical question for the list

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Sat Mar 4 07:36:50 PST 2006

All, I talked with another "local" (90 miles away) Oliver expert. He thinks
the crack most likely is a casting flaw that finally opened up enough to
leak gear oil. His advice is to run it unless there is some sign of an
INTERNAL stress source such as a bull gear tooth loss or other drivetrain
noise or bearing failure. Given that this is a typical quiet Oliver and it
has been worked really hard again, I'm going to pin and JB weld the crack as
soon as I have a chance and keep an eye on it. Thanks for the thoughts from
the list, they helped me agree with my friend that is the best course of
action. As a quick reference, he worked for the Oliver dealer for years and
sells parts for them still. There are still significant numbers of Olivers
running in regular use in the Salinas and Santa Clara Valley in the
vegetables - we have three 77's.
        Grant Brians
        Hollister, California