[AT] Mad as H***: Cattle ID cont. (long)

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Mar 3 09:48:42 PST 2006

Its unfortunate that as farmers we have to buy all our inputs at retail and
sell our products at wholesale price but thats the way it is and we have to
find a way to survive as long as we can. Walt is right, the animal i.d. is
coming and we will have to play by the rules or suffer the consequences. I'm
not a serious cattle rancher and this i.d. thing might be the straw that
breaks this camel's back. I don't tag my animals now but when they are
trucked to the auction mart to sell they are tagged there and I am charged
for it. Its not a big deal right now but the day may come when I can't even
load them on a trailer without tags.
The consumer wants a traceable system for their beef and they see this as a
means of doing it. The customer is usually right in these cases and we have
to give them what they want or they will look elsewhere.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/