[AT] A long shot--Wisconsin part

Mike Reggie mrreg_99 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 28 23:52:25 PDT 2006

  John:  I might be able to offer some information on the rubbing of the
carbon stick on the weld.

If you've ever had a nice fresh cast iron weld crack on you, you will have
noticed that it doesn't crack on the weld itself, it cracks on either side
of the weld.  without getting into all the science as to why that
happens,[I've tried for years to understand it] it is basically because the
heat of the weld draws the carbon from the surrounding part of the metal to
the heat zone of the weld, and causes it to crack. So the theory was that
the carbon would help to fill in at the spots it was being pulled from, this
is also the reason for the pre and post heating, and burying in sand or
lime, etc.

  I do all kinds of welding on an almost daily basis, and a part of that is
sometimes cast iron, some of it with stick, and some of it with heli-arc, I
dislike it very much, there have been really great products developed in the
last 20 or so years for cast iron welding, but its whole purpose is for
repair, I have never seen it as a means of normal cast iron joinery. No
mater how much I've done, or what I see others far more talented and
informed than myself do, I just can't seem to get comfortable with the whole
idea of cast iron welding.

That being said, my preferred method for the repair of cast iron is brazing,
be it with brass, silver, or with cast iron filler, it just seems to "work"
better. Just remember, clean, clean, clean, and plenty of quality flux, and
of course never forget that brazing is dependent on capillary action, it is
not a soft weld.

  This is just my opinion, I hope it is of some help   ........ Mike