[AT] For those tractor (er computer) geeks on here

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Jun 26 08:14:13 PDT 2006

You're right David.  Pen drive, Thumb drives, etc, are a completely
different device when compared to a USB drive.  For my money (because I
do so much stuff with really large file sizes) I won't bother with
anything smaller than around 6 Gigabytes.  When you get to that size of
storage device, the price difference between the strictly solid-state
devices (Gigabank, etc) and the larger units with real drives in them
isn't enough to even consider using the solid-state device.  I'm not
being elitist here, that's just a matter of economics.  I even have
stopped using the solid-state devices in my digital camera.  I have a
camera that takes a couple of different formats of "memory cards".  One
of the formats is CF II (Compact Flash) which just happens to be the
same physical size and is completely interchangeable with the Hitachi
mini-drive.  I use the Hitachi mini-drive (6 Gigabytes) when I'm on the
road, at shows, etc, because I can shoot all day and never have to
change media.  It holds somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500 still
pictures at 8 Megapixel resolution or three hours of full frame NTSC
video.

The downside of all this is that my camera is way too big to fit in a
pocket.  As a result, I end up carrying it around my neck and it has a
tendency to shut off the circulation to my head.  (I'm sure there are
now some wags on the list who are thinking, "So that's what's wrong with

Larry