[AT] OT - Laptop reccomendations

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Jun 26 03:10:23 PDT 2006

I have a neighbor who has worked for HP field tech support for many
years, and I mentioned the same thing to him about HP's quality. He said
that they have recently fired most of the management that caused the
quality problem (from the CEO [Farina] on down) and are trying to regain
their reputation. Unfortunately, it is a lot easier to ruin your
reputation than to restore it. I agree that IBM and Toshiba are probably
the best choices right now, especially if the machine will be bounced
around a lot. The most expensive component in the laptop is a screen
that is 100% free of dead pixels - some of the bargain machines might
have been made from reject screens that have 1 to 100 dead spots. If a
couple of dead spots are in an upper corner, that's fine, but if they
are right smack in the middle, it can drive you nuts.

Mike

<snip>

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be
unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong. -G.K. Chesterton,
essayist and novelist (1874-1936)