[AT] OT - Laptop reccomendations

pga2 at hot1.net pga2 at hot1.net
Mon Jun 26 04:04:51 PDT 2006

Actually, that last statement is not 100% true. Acer's Pan American Tech
Support is located in Temple, Texas and staffed by folks that are English
speaking and sometimes multi-lingual. Tehy are also quite well trained in
the Microsoft operating systems and some of the other MS software.
As far as quality goes, every manufacturer has a few problems, especially
with new models. The life cycle of a laptop model is about 90 days. That's
right, 90 days. After that, the manufacturers move on to a new model.
I don't know much about other manufacturer's product lines, but as far as
Acer is concerned, The Aspire 5000 and Aspire 5670 would be my first
choices. The 5000 is an AMD Turion based system and the 5670 is an Intel
Centrino Duo based system. The main difference is the 5670 has a built in
webcam. Both can be had with several options like more memory and CD/DVD
burners.
If you really want to spend a lot of money on a laptop, there are some
available with very large screens, up to 19". Having seen some of these, I
personally don't like them as they are quite bulky and heavy.
As for the dead pixels, the limit for us is 7 dead or stuck pixels per
unit. Sometimes these can be unstuck using a program to exercise the
pixels. I use DPT, a freeware program downloadable from the web. Just
Google DPT.
You have gotten good info from the list, now all you have to do is put it
to work. :o)

Good luck,
Phil