[AT] Antifreeze questions

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sun Jun 25 09:04:55 PDT 2006

There are a LOT of different antifreeze formulas out there. One thing to
be aware of is that GM has issued a statement about Dex, that it should
be changed out every 3-4 years at most to keep it from becoming a
problem, Don't believe it when they say it is lifetime coolant. It can
be replaced with green with no problem, just do a flush and refill with
green (after the warrantee is over please). One BIG problem with Dex is
that it doesn't like any air in the system, any vehicle I own with Dex
gets filled well over the full hot mark on the tank.
Ford Gold is the same as Green, just a different color.
Cat Red is the same thing, just a different color and it also includes a
heavier dose of additives to keep the system cleaner and protected.

Oh and then you can add in the low toxicity brands like Sierra, They
work OK but are EXPENSIVE and offer no real advantage unless your
leaking coolant and worry about killing an animal.

http://www.vectorbd.com/peugeot/archive/99_8/0415.html has a pretty good
rundown.

Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown, New York