[AJD] howdy again from the desert

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Sat Jun 24 06:13:31 PDT 2006

I've been lurking here to see what the folks who really know would say.
That not taking place, I'll jump in with my 2 cents worth (arguably a
bargain) and maybe that'll dislodge folks who know better than I.

I stick with John Deere paint from the dealership.  You adjust for the
atmospheric conditions by the reducer you purchase.  My local body and
fender guy says he uses JD paint for his tractor jobs and then adds a clear
coat if the customer wants the high shine.  Personally I don't like the high
shine unless one has the skills to really straighten out the sheet metal so
it looks good.  At my level of expertise in that area the shine doesn't
flatter my work.  And I add hardener to the paint.

For priming, I prime as I go on the assembly, that slows the rust down in
these parts when I don't get back to working on the project for a few weeks.
I've thought of maybe next time priming and then rattle can painting green
as I go, that way I won't have to be as careful to get to all the odd
corners when I finish coat.

And I run my tractor quite a bit, even work it if I can find an excuse to do
so, before that finish coat.  I usually find a couple of leaks that way so I
can fix them before the final paint job.

I think this is one of those cases where you can make the right decision, or
you can make your decision right.

Either way, have fun!

B²

Bill Brueck (brick)
Chatfield, MN, USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.