[AT] 1988 Isuzu Oxygen sensor light

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Wed Jun 21 14:06:44 PDT 2006

There is a reset button on the computer module that does the sensing,
Charles.  This is not the same computer module that is typically under
the passenger seat, but is another smaller unit that is hidden in the
firewall area of your car.  It could be up under the dash, it could be
behind the kick panel carpet on either side of the car - only your
dealer's mechanic knows for sure, and sometimes even he can get fooled
and have to go searching for it.  I owned two Nissan's of the same model
year, and the module wasn't even located in the same area on those two
cars.

On the other hand, there could be other conditions that would cause the
light to come on.  The light glows continuously on my Toyota.  I asked
the service manager what the problem is and he said they couldn't tell
with any certainty without running the $100 test.  I told him to go
ahead and run it.  The result was that the catalytic converter on this
vehicle has burned out.  Rather than getting plugged up, it is now
running open enough that the oxygen sensor is completely screwed up.
The repair cost (replacement of converter) was going to cost several
hundred dollars.  His recommendation was to stick a piece of black vinyl
tape over the light.  I haven't even bothered with that -- I just ignore
the burning light.

Larry