[Steam-engine] Stem packing

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 21 11:01:34 PDT 2006

I was just wondering if I needed genuine candle wick
or something else special for the governor.  Doesn't
sound like I do.  I got to thinking about this at
church when I saw the candle snuffers in the
sanctuary.  The snuffers have a candle wick in the
other end used to light the candles before the
service.  I thought the the wick used in the snuffer
may make a suitable packing.  I have an alternate
solution to Dianne's problem.  I was asking a local
friend about where to get packing for the hand valves.
 He simply pulled out some packing for the cylinder
rod and unraveled it, cut off one of the individual
strands, and said "here you are... stem packing".  I'm
pretty good with the details but the obvious kicks my
butt sometimes.

--- "Best, Dianne" <dbest at hydro.mb.ca> wrote:

> I bought a whole @$#%*& roll of 1/4" square
> graphite/cotton packing
> years ago because I could find a few feet of it. Now
> I have enough
> packing to last the next 7 generations!
>
> Maybe I ought to sell it by the foot?
>
> Dianne