[Steam-engine] Stem packing

David Myers walking_tractor at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 20 17:48:40 PDT 2006

Andy, I don't know of any other product except
graphited packing (not saying there isn't, just all
I've ever used).  We keep our eyes constantly open at
swap meets, auctions, and have even found some at yard
sales (who'd a thunk it?).  On the governor stem I
just pack lightly and make darned sure the stem is
free.  As for the valves I pack a little tighter, they
free up with use anyhow.
We have found packing from 1/8" up to 3/4' or 7/8" and
NEVER turn down any finds.  I think you can find it in
McMaster Carr also.

Dave Myers
Paw Paw, MI