[AT] was generator=ee / tubes

Thomas O. Mehrkam tomehrkam at houston.rr.com
Mon Jun 19 10:14:24 PDT 2006

One of the most important concepts an Engineer should learn is KISS.
"Keep it simple Stupid"

That one concept and a clear understanding of Murphy's law goes a long way.

It also helps to have some blue collar experience in your formative years.

I helped on peanut farms and rice farms during my early years. While I
was in collage I repaired TV's and worked in a commercial Printing
plant. The experience there was invaluable. I learned what worked and
what did not.

My first couple of jobs were making Packaging Machines, "Corn chips in
bags" and electronic Sorting machines. We had huge machine shops,
plating shops and electronic manufacturing shops. I use to spend a lot
of time talking to the Machinist, Welders and assembly people. That was
an education in it's self.

Today most of our manufacturing is outsourced and those people are not
available. The education of the New Engineers suffer because of that.

I hunt with our Ex CEO, A couple of Vice Presidents and a retired
Engineer Manager. One of the tests when hiring new Engineers was to take
them hunting and see if they knew which end of the Gate to open and how
to hold a Shot Gun. If they passed that test they were usually hired. A
hunting trip is also a good test of common sense.