[AT] was generator=ee / tubes

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 19 05:44:53 PDT 2006

>From: "Thomas O. Mehrkam" <tomehrkam at houston.rr.com>
>If you knew what a FET was you are younger than Me.
>BiPolar transistors where the vogue. I do not remember learning about
FET's. But it has been a long time.

Bipolars were also what I started working with.

>My first engineering Job was converting some Peanut Sorter machines from
>Vacuum tubes to Transistor electronics. Planter Peanuts had a couple of
>factories full of these Vacuum tube machines and wanted them refurbished.

neat job!

>I sure would of loved to had access to some decent FET's for that
>project. I got rid of all the tubes except for the Photo Multipliers. I
>tried Silicon sensors but at that time there were none that would work
>without changing all the optics.

As much as I like dthe bipolar transistors.. i also agree.. I'v built way
more ( and more stable ) circuits using a fet of some sort...   Though have
to throw kudos to the other stuff.. darlington pairs, and scr's.. etc.
'Bout the only thing i did with bipolars much was audio application.. ..
input and output stages.. but thru the years... mosfets became the thing for
the output stages...   .. Oh well..

>You do remember having to repair TV's don't you.

I can remember doing it for a few years... When it got to the point that you
just replaced the mainboard.. I lost interest..  ( so did everybody else...
big companies pretty much obsoleted small appliance repair.. )

Soundguy