OT Re: [AT] Generator--doing funny things, Now electronics.

Howard Weeks weeksh at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 18 18:47:14 PDT 2006

When these new machines with all the electronic control systems get to be
about 10
years old, many of the critical electronic parts are not going to be
available at any price.

And many of these critical parts cannot be replaced with something else.
For example,
even if you could get a compatible "programmable part", the software that
Tom writes
will not be available either.

I have a junk pile full of electronics around here that is full because of
what I describe.

The only way around it is to reverse engineer the electronics and design a
general purpose
replacement for it.  I have done some of that and it takes lots of time and
effort.  Unless you
have the skills needed yourself, hiring someone else to do it will be very
expensive also.

Bottom line, they do not design them to run more than a few years.  They
want to sell you another
machine or widget.  They do not want you to be repairing them after the
point where you should be
shaking off the money to buy another.  Throw away?

None of these new machines will be running 50 years from now (or even 25)
unless a workaround
for the electronics is found.

Howard
Harlem, GA