[AJD] magneto question

Kyle Sands willys_46 at mail.com
Sat Jun 17 21:28:44 PDT 2006

Hello folks - I have what may be a pretty basic magneto question.  I've got a '38 JD B with a Wico C mag.  It's a project tractor that I got running several years ago, but since then, it has been sitting undisturbed but out in the elements - though I have kept the magneto covered and protected.  I decided to start doing some more work on the tractor recently and found that it does not spark anymore.

To get it running back then, I had purchased a rebuilt magneto which of course worked just fine then.  It has less than an hour's worth of run-time on it, so is essentially still brand new.  I pulled the cap and everything looks clean as a whistle, no burn marks, no pitting, no corrosion, nothing that would indicate an obvious problem.  I'm wondering what sorts of issues can arise from non-use that would cause a brand new mag to quit working?  (I do know the problem has to be in the mag and not in the plug wires or plugs because I swapped out those items from my running Model AW and didn't get any spark either.)

Also, to test the mag when it is not installed on the tractor, is it ok to just ground a wire to the mag body and flip the impulse over by hand?  Or is that not going to work or is it inadvisable?

Thanks!

Kyle Sands <><Alexandria, MN