OT Re: [AT] Generator--doing funny things, Now electronics.

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sat Jun 17 12:47:10 PDT 2006

Nice job on the A/C. Intermittent problems in a newer vehicle can be
really fun due to the harness designs.

Oh an FYI for you. If that Sub hasn't been retrofitted with the new
wiper control board you can do a preventative repair on the current
board and safe yourself the aggravation of losing the windshield wipers
when you need them.
Pull the wiper motor cover and you will find the control board. Take
note of the wiring harness connection. The one that takes the strain of
the harness and has NO SUPPORT other than the soldered connection to the
board...  First check the solder joints and see if they are breaking
loose yet. If not your REAL lucky. Just reheat them if they are. Then
make up a support collar and glue it onto the board stiffen that
connector so the strain is abated some. Reinstall the cover and use a
zip tie to lift and hold the harness so there is no strain on the
connection. Once done you won't get the surprise of the wipers not
working, not parking properly or just stopping due to that connection
failing.

http://trucks.about.com/cs/truckrecalls/a/gmtruckrecall.htm

Auto Recall Date: 04/28/2003
Vehicle Component: VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD WIPER/WASHER
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 1755876

ON CERTAIN MINIVANS, PICKUP TRUCKS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES WITH
CERTAIN MODEL-ENGINE COMBINATIONS, THE WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR MAY FAIL
DUE TO CRACKED SOLDER JOINTS ON THE CONTROLLER CIRCUIT BOARD. THE
WINDSHIELD WIPERS COULD WORK INTERMITTENTLY OR NOT AT ALL.
Defect Consequence:
IF THIS WERE TO OCCUR DURING BAD WEATHER, DRIVER VISIBILITY WOULD BE
REDUCED, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE WIPER MOTOR CIRCUIT BOARD AND COVER. OWNER
NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON JUNE 19, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO
AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE
THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT
1-800-222-1020, GMC AT 1-800-462-8782, OR OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-442-6537.
Notes: GENERAL MOTORS CORP., 03023

If your VIN doesn't show under the above recall then there is this.

Some customers of 1997 Chevrolet Blazer, S10 Pickup; 1995-1997 Chevrolet
Astro, C/K Crew Cab; 1994-1997 C/K Pickup, Tahoe, Suburban; 1997 GMC
Jimmy, Sonoma; 1995-1997 GMC Safari, Sierra Crew Cab; 1994-1997 GMC
Sierra Pickup, Yukon, Suburban; and 1997 Oldsmobile Bravada vehicles not
involved in recall 98043 may experience a windshield wiper failure due
to cracked solder joints on the controller circuit board.

Special Policy Adjustment
This special policy covers the condition described above for a period of
7 years or 70,000 miles (112,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the
date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of
ownership, or for those vehicles currently outside of this coverage,
until February 29, 2004. The repairs will be made at no charge to the
customer.

Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown, New York