[Ford-ferguson] flash

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jun 14 10:31:26 PDT 2006

>when I pull out the choke, give it a little throttle and push the starter
>button, I get a huge flash of >spark (>

>>Maybe they reversed the battery leads and you have a neg ground instead
>>of pos. When you pushed the starter in, it would cause adirest short then.
>>Kurt

NO NO NO...  Changing the battery polarity has absolutely -0- to do with a
direct short at the mechanical starter button....  if you know anything
about electronics.  The big thumb button on the 9n / 2n is trany neutral
interlocked, and merly pushed a rod thru the steering pedistal, thet then
actuates a single pole, single throw momentary contact high amperage
electric switch that is mounted to the back side of the steering pedistal.
The switch is isolated from the frame.  it has a post to connect to the
battery, and a post to connect to the starter.. when you push the button,
the posts become common, letting battery current pass to the starter.. which
is grounded to the bellhousing.. thus completing the path for current to
flow.

The switch ( and starter ) function identically no matter what ground
polarity you have chosen.

Mor likely, the switch inards have come apart and are letting the starter
side of the switch be common to ground, so that when you press the switch,
it makes a huge spark... Could be bad insulation gromets.. etc.. something
is letting the battery side of the switch short when the button is pushed.
The interlock rod is fairly bullet proof, unless the shifter pattern wears..
that leaves the problem with the electrical switch which can be -easilly-
remvoed from the back of the steering pedistal.

Soundguy