Fwd: [AT] conventional or electronic ignition

Phil Auten pga2 at hot1.net
Mon Jun 12 19:34:18 PDT 2006

Ralph,
You should be able to find a GM HEI distributor assembly at a
wrecking yard that will be a direct bolt in replacement
for your current distributor. Just be sure to get the connector from
the new distributor so you can feed the 12V power
to it. The only problem with the GM HEI that I am aware of is that
there is no strain relief on the two wires coming out
of the pickup coil that go to the ignition module. As the vacuum
advance moves the mounting plate back and forth,
these wires flex right at the body of the coil and eventually break.
The fix is to hold them away from the outer body of
the distributor with a blob of red high temp RTV silicone rubber.
This solves the weak point in the system and makes
a very reliable distributor that is even good for a mild high
performance engine. I don't think that you'll be running that
pickup at the drag strip, so you should be good to go, no pun  intended. :o)

Phil