[AT] Shale or gravel?

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Sun Jun 11 17:46:18 PDT 2006

Mike thanks for the comments.  Run of Bank is what comes out a gravelpit and
includes a few stones up to 6" or even 8" in extent.  In NY it is
abbreviated ROB on construction drawings.  Normally, the final 6" of a road
bed are screened to exclude anything over 2.5".  Gravel beds are
periodically graded and tested for proper percentages of various size
aggregate and if found to be desirable are "NYS DOT approved" by the testing
lab.  To be approve, the material may have to be screened and will cost
about $2 more.  The bed, or pit this gravel would come from is approved.
Gravel will pack well, yet continue to drain until a lot of fines pack the
pores.  I wonder if organic matter will clog  too, or will it decompose and
clear as new stuff replaces it.  I know the graveled areas of our old
barnyard were a lot more pleasant than the dirt areas slightly further from
the barn.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
AC One Seventy diesel