[AT] Sad news update

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Wed Jul 26 15:16:43 PDT 2006

Dallas/Jack:

I don't know if this is a general JD 425 mower issue or not but I own one
and have for several years. Just this spring I had a fire start around one
the deck blade pulleys. I thought I had a bearing problem at first but what
started the fire were some clippings that got inside under the belt cover
and the friction of the spinning wheel and belt lit the dead grass. Not
observable w/o removing the covers. Fortunately, I caught it before it did
any real damage. Scared the heck out of me. I now run w/o the belt covers on
the deck so I can see when grass clippings build up. I could easily see how
that heat could build up while mowing but not ignite immediately but then
later ignite after the tractor was stored. Very troublesome. I got a good
warning.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

"Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes."

www.deerelegacy.com