[AT] tractor related old expression

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Mon Jul 31 16:02:51 PDT 2006

Couldn't pull a hen, etc.  Which brings up something else. Before I was
born, my grandfather did a lot of custom threshing. My uncle always ran the
machine; and a WK-40 IH ran the machine. Someone talked my grandfather into
putting rubber tires on the tractor. My uncle and grandfather fought over
the issue but as usual grandpa won. Whereas my uncle had been able to set
up the machine in a short time ; almost always in slippery barnyards , it
would sometimes take him 2 or 3 hrs. with the rubber tires slipping
around.  My question, has anyone on the list seen or tried plowing snow
with steel wheels and lugs or the steel angle bars I have seen on some old
tractors? If so, how did it work?
Greg Hass
Michigan