[AT] Some ads from the 7/29 Lancaster Farming

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun Jul 30 20:37:20 PDT 2006

It really is a fun read.  It shows you how to open a field for plowing,
for planting, etc.  How to sharpen sickle bar knives, how to sharpen a
plow share, and all sorts of other skills that we needed on the farm
before the term "agribusiness" was invented.

There was a thread here a couple of days ago about the "right way" to do
repairs.  I had to laugh to myself about the idealism of fixing things
only with OEM parts.  We didn't have the money to ever buy new equipment
for the farm.  Every last piece of equipment we owned had been purchased
at farm sales in something less than operable condition.  We fixed it up
with generic parts wherever possible, but it was always breaking down.
We had to figure out how to get back in operation with a "baling wire"
fix.  Otherwise it was a long walk back to the barn and chores or
harvests wouldn't get done in a timely manner.  It wasn't until this
century that I finally learned the modern techniques of modular part and
assembly replacement that is such an integral part of today's warrantee
service.  I'm not so sure that is a philosophical step forward.  Maybe
that's one of the fascinations I find with restoring tractors which are
orphans -- there's still some room for ingenuity.

We even recycled baling wire.  Dad rigged a punch in the hitch pin hole
of the 7 X 14 trailer we used as a farm wagon.  Then he would slip the
eye of the used wire over the punch, grip the other end in a pair of
vise-grips, and give it several hard yanks.  The process caused the wire
to momentarily reach its yield strength and resulted in an absolutely
straight piece of wire that we could use again in the International hay
baler.  Not having to buy a brand new bundle of baling wire for the
first cutting of alfalfa was a significant saving for us.

BTW, Farmer, I finally bit the bullet and replaced the gauge wheels that
you told me how to repair six or seven years ago.  I used Shoe-Goo just
like you told me to and the patches lasted all this time.  The treads
were still patched, but the bore and bearings were completely shot and
there was no way another application of Shoe-Goo was going to solve the
problem.

Larry