[AT] Electrical Problems..Please help

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Jul 30 05:52:00 PDT 2006

Take the wire running from thedist to the coil off and turn on the ignition
and ground the side of the coil you just took off and see if you get a spark
from the coil high side.. If not, and you have current to the coil, then you
got a coil problem..
If so, then crank the engine until the points are closed and touch that
distributor wire to the coil and see if you have a spark at the coil high
side again. If not, then you have an open circuit in the points either from
dirty points or a broken wire from the distributor post to the points.
sometimes the insulator where the post goes thru the dist will get grounded.
If you got spark, then crank the engine until the points are open and try
touching the dist wire to the coil again. if you get spark now, the points
are grounded in the distributor, or the post thru the dist is grounded, or
your condensor is grounded.

Cecil in OKla