[AT] Ralph's website now rotary cutter grease now throttle cable nuts

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Fri Jul 28 16:03:51 PDT 2006

Hey Mark, I have a question for you.  You may have seen on another list
that I've been looking for an affordable source for throttle cable nuts
-- those nuts that thread onto the outside of flexible cables to hold
and adjust the length on the "far end".  I found them at Mission
Manufacturing.  They had a local job shop machine them from scratch and
are selling them at $2.10 each.  I was told that John Deere still uses
them and this afternoon I found them from that source at $0.85 each --
their part number PT16281.  These used to be used on the engines of
every John Deere, Wheel Horse, Power King, and Cub Cadet tractor in the
"early days".  Today, they are nearly unavailable.  John Deere shows
them on their 110 IPL as being out of production in 1967.

I bought a dozen from Mission and found that they only fit American-made
cables.  That's a real Bummer because most of the new throttle cables
are made in China.  What's happened is that the new cables are the same
size wire and wound at the same pitch (18 tpi), but they are wound to a
larger diameter and the custom-made nuts jam when you try to install
them on a foreign-made cable.

I ordered a couple of nuts from John Deere today to try them as samples
on some Chinese cables I have.

The bottom line question is: Does your company list these?  Have them in
stock?  Do they fit any manufacturer of cable?

Larry