[AT] Refill my Case hydraulics

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Jul 27 14:00:11 PDT 2006

I have a Case 430CK, and when I got it the seal on the three point lift
cylinder was blown out. As a result, the PO advised me that much of the
hydraulic fluid had been pumped from the torque tube reservoir into the
transmission. I finally got a round tuit, and I replaced the seal (which
was split in half) this week. And indeed the transmission was half full
of a mixture of 90W oil and something lighter. I am going to eventually
have to drain that mess out and replace it with the recommended 90W oil,
but it is working fine now. The problem is that the fluid in the
reservoir is so low that neither the power steering nor the hitch
operate. The owner's manual recommends the use of "ATF" in the system. I
stopped by local auto parts store today and asked for some ATF, and the
counterman asked if I wanted ATF-1, ATF-2, or ATF-3. It seems that there
is are different formulations among them, and if I pick the wrong one, I
will have (undetermined) problems that will require draining and
discarding the wrong stuff.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which one I should buy for this
tractor? I seem to recall that back in the 1960s, there was only one
kind of ATF (I had an Esso service station about that time, and ATF came
in red and white quart cans, as did lube oil - you forced a combination
punch and spout into the top of the can and drained it. I still have a
couple of those spouts that I keep for the Smithsonian Institution,
should they ever ask for them.)

Mike
--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us that the
less we use our power the greater it will be. -Thomas Jefferson,
third US president, architect and author (1743-1826)