[AT] Gearboxes and grease

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Jul 27 12:06:38 PDT 2006

Thanks for all the good ideas re: grease and gearboxes on my rotary mower.
Interesting co-incidence that some of you should mention corn head grease. I
recently became acquainted with the internal workings of a Peerless
transaxle when the rear axle seized up on my JD 111 lawn tractor. A dried
out needle bearing had piled up and ruined the one axle. Took a while but I
finally got some of the parts from John Deere and some right from Tecumseh.
I forget now what grease the service manual recommended but it was something
with "bentonite" grease in it. I checked out everything on the JD shelves
and finally decided on a couple of tubes of nice green corn head grease to
install in the transaxle on re-assembly. This grease is somewhat thinner
than the semi-solid congealed grease that was in it from the factory and
will hopefully keep those needle bearings and bushings lubed up for the
duration of my grass cutting days.
I'm thinking I might just try grease on this rotary mower gearbox now, work
it a while and see how the temp is on the box after that. Its a whole lot
easier than removing the gearbox which looks like I'd need the front end
loader to turn the mower up on it's side or upside down

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/