[Farmall] Farmall 340 Not starting

Larry Hardesty ebony51 at frontiernet.net
Tue Jul 25 19:17:04 PDT 2006

Dan,  Boy this sure has me baffled.  I just spent another 90 minutes working
with it.  I get voltage to the new coil.  In fact, it seems I get a pretty
good spark when I run a wire across from positive to negative on the coil
and just touch it.

I have an IH Blue Ribbon Manual on the electrical for the 340, 460, and 560.
One of things it suggests is disconnecting the wires from the coil and
connecting jumper cables from the battery and see if I get a spark from on
to the other (I assume to see if the electricity runs through the coil).
Well, I did get a spark, but not nearly the spark running a wire from the
positive to negative of the coil with the wires connected.  Really not much
different than from the old coil when I tried it with it.  Should I be
getting more of spark?  Is it possible (would seem unlikely) to get a faulty
new coil and is there a way to test a coil.

I looked through wiring, disconnected connections and cleaned them, etc. and
etc., but could not find a short.  Now it could be hidden in wiring.  No
sign of short in the distributor.  Obviously it has to be something.

Any further ideas?

Thanks

Larry