[Farmall] Yellow jackets

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Mon Jul 24 04:30:10 PDT 2006

Mike,

Had a nest once that was up in the corner trim of the vinyl siding.
Couldn't see the nest and impossible to get the can to spray up into the
corner trim. Took a rag soaked in carb cleaner and shoved it up the trim.
When I pulled it out the next day, all the adults just fell out dead. You
could try soaking a rag in gas or diesel and use a stick to shove it up
under the hood (at night of course). Wait a day or two and see if you
notice them flying around any more. I usually get them nesting in the front
axle of the Cub or in the rear brake housings. Easy enough to spray into
either location with standard wasp/hornet killer.

Another time I had a nest of ground bees. Went at them in the evening with
a shovel and torch. Wore several layers of heavy clothing and dug and
burned while they tried their best to sting me through the clothing.
Actually stopped and watched them working their stingers into the outer
layers of clothing before I swatted them flat. When the queen finally left
they all followed her and that was the end of the nest. They did get their
revenge though. The next day was garbage day, and as I lifted the lid off
of the garbage can I found where they went to spend the night. I just
didn't notice the one that was on the lid. I didn't hurt for more then a
couple of days!

Then there was the time I used the shop vac to suck them up as they flew in
and out of the nest. Used the extensions hose from two vacs so I wouldn't
have to get too close. They were up under the vinyl siding and I didn't
want to use any spray because I didn't want to stain the siding. Stood
there for several hours sucking them up one at a time. Knew I'd won when I
noticed the queen leaving with a pupa in her jaws.

Another thought would be to use a high pressure washer and just hose down
the underside of the hood. Maybe you can put together some sort of long
spray arm from 1/4 copper pipe so you don't have to get too close. Once you
dislodge the nest your problem should be over. I'd wear some heavy clothing
just in case.

Carl Szabelski

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.