[AT] Allis shows

James Bray brayherbs at msn.com
Sat Jul 22 02:19:06 PDT 2006

Hello, Lous,

According to my Antique Tractor price guide, Allis model "C" tractors with good sheet metal and tires are going for $900 to $1,550 in the Minnesota area.  Add more for wide front ends or mowers.

I was never much of an Allis Chalmers fan, being more likely to go for IHC, but I recently put a six foot belly mower under an Allis "CA," and I am really impressed by it.  For PTO work it is a surprisingly snappy little engine.  In heavy grass it hauls on through, even makes the sound of a forage harvester.

Your friend's "C" was made in 1941, the second year of production.  It likely has the gas engine which puts out 23 belt PTO horse power, the same engine they put in the "CA."  (The distillate engine put out 19 belt PTO horse power.)

Unlike the "CA," your friend's tractor has 3 forward gears instead of 4, no hydraulic, and it lacks the "hand clutch" type independent PTO arrangement.

Good luck with your sale.

Jim Bray