[Farmall] Converting to 12 v system on Cub

Farmallgray at aol.com Farmallgray at aol.com
Sun Jul 16 15:19:07 PDT 2006

I agree too! I have several 6 volt tractors (only 1 that is 12 v but it has
12:1
compression and 436 cubic inches). If they don't spin right over, then I
know something isn't right. It is usually a bad connection or something wrong
with the starter. My step-dad has an AC WC that he has been fighting with for
years with slow cranking. Finally it got to the point where it would barely
crank at all.
It had good cables, but he had never done anything with the starter. I took
it apart and found a loose connection inside the starter. I fixed that  and
put it back together and it cranks as good as any 12 V system. I like to try  to
keep them as original as possible because in another 50 yrs someone may need
to restore them again and won't know what parts were used. And by then, those
 conversion parts may be harder to find than the original parts. The 6 V
system  worked fine when they were new. If every part in the system is the way it
should  be, there is no reason why it won't work fine now. BTW, you can jump a
6 V with  a 12 V (in fact, it's better)  just not the opposite.

You guys can do what you want with your tractors. I'm sure guys have  various
reasons for converting to 12 V, but a lot of times it is for lack of
knowledge of how a 6 V system works when functioning properly. I hope this  didn't
sound like a rant. Just my 2 cents.
Todd

-------------------------------1153088347

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2912" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>I agree too! I have several 6 volt tractors (only 1 that is 12 v but it=
 has=20
12:1</DIV>
<DIV>compression and 436 cubic inches). If they don't spin right over, then=20=
I=20
know something isn't right. It is usually a bad connection or something wron=
g=20
with the starter. My step-dad has an AC WC that he has been fighting with fo=
r=20
years with slow cranking. Finally it got to the point where it would barely=20
crank at all.</DIV>
<DIV>It had good cables, but he had never done anything with the starter. I=20=
took=20
it apart and found a loose connection <EM>inside</EM> the starter. I fixed t=
hat=20
and put it back together and it cranks as good as any 12 V system. I like to=
 try=20
to keep them as original as possible because in another 50 yrs someone may n=
eed=20
to restore them again and won't know what parts were used. And by then, thos=
e=20
conversion parts may be harder to find than the original parts. The 6 V syst=
em=20
worked fine when they were new. If every part in the system is the way it sh=
ould=20
be, there is no reason why it won't work fine now. BTW, you can jump a 6 V w=
ith=20
a 12 V (in fact, it's better)  just not the opposite.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>You guys can do what you want with your tractors. I'm sure guys have=20
various reasons for converting to 12 V, but a lot of times it is for lack of=
=20
knowledge of how a 6 V system works when functioning properly. I hope this=20
didn't sound like a rant. Just my 2 cents.</DIV>
<DIV>Todd</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>