[Farmall] Converting to 12 v system on Cub

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Jul 16 06:03:51 PDT 2006

I agree completely with Ray. In my case, I had to clear snow on a mile
long private road at night, and the 6 volt system on my '55 Cub just
couldn't handle it - it wouldn't start in extremely cold weather, and
the lights were barely bright enough to find the tractor in the dark.

In my case, I used a small alternator of the type that was used on older
Chrysler cars, a "universal" mounting kit, and the external "solid
state" regulator mounted where the old mechanical regulator was. The old
top bracket had to be bent a little to fit the alternator. On my '65 Cub
that had a bad battery, generator, and regulator (and no lights) when I
got it, I used the same style alternator but built a regulator from an
old "electronics project" book. (I suspect that it would have been
cheaper and easier to buy a regulator, but the project was a fun one to
build.) Both machines' electrical systems have been running flawlessly
for the last 15 or so years, and I have yet to change out the batteries!
I also converted my Super M and 340 to 12 volts (using GM single wire
alternators with internal regulators) for similar reasons. I keep all
the old hardware and don't modify the wiring harness, so if anyone ever
wants to restore the tractors to their "original" state, the pieces are
there.

I have two other Cubs that have their original 6 volt system, but they
are used only for cutting grass/weeds in the summer, so the old system
isn't a problem (although the batteries don't seem to last nearly as long).

I would think that pretty much any of the newer Japanese car alternators
would fit nicely under the Cub hood and would work just fine. On the
Mopar and GM alternators, I was able to re-use the generator pulleys, so
I didn't even have to change the belts, but that might not be possible
on the Japanese alternators.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods
or no God. -Thomas Jefferson, third US president, architect and
author (1743-1826)