[Farmall] Converting to 12 v system on Cub

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jul 16 05:29:00 PDT 2006

Never to old to learn new tricks. We completely rebuilt the engine in dad's
Cub. Unfortunately it never would crank satisfactory. We changed timing ,
swapped mags, carbs etc. Finally we got a new/rebuilt starter and no more
cranking problems. Even though the old one appeared to work OK it just
didn't snap the engine through fast enough to crank---especially when hot.
  I've got to say this is about the closest we ever came to converting one
over to 12V. Fortunately we are too stubborn to concede and let the machine
win.

That said, if converting is you hearts desire, I've seen several
conversions. Some look almost original they are so neat and some look like
something from "junkyard wars". I think a lot of the conversions that are
butcher jobs are a result from using whatever parts you have lying around at
your shop. The neat and tidy ones are generally those that have been done
with new parts---and by someone willing to think for 2 minutes before he
starts cutting and welding.

Just my $.02
John Hall