[AT] OT Hay question

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Mon Jul 10 05:36:54 PDT 2006

a mower-conditioner here is a pull type swather.  A swather is a
self-propelled cutter usually with a crimper attachment that conditions the
hay as it is exhausted into the windrow.  We release the tension on the
crimper rollers when cutting prairie hay as you will have only particles of
hay if it sets in the windrow too long.  When cutting grains or large stalk
type of forage, then we load the tension on the crimp rollers to break up
the stalks and take some of the moisture out of the material...  I have
baled wheat hay when the belts were slipping on the rollers due to moisture
running out of the wheat and the bales being so heavy.  You could smell the
bales fermenting for about 3 weeks afterward.  However, when we fed it that
following winter, the cows would fight over the hay..  I never noticed any
mold in those bales.  I think that there was enough acid in the sap to
prevent it from molding.  I would much prefer to bale with the sap moisture
than rain or humidity.  Hope this makes sense..

Cecil in OKla