[AT] OT Hay question

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Sun Jul 9 13:55:44 PDT 2006

Grant,
We use a Massey Ferguson Mower  conditioner right now we can mow today and
bale tomorrow I am baling in the  morning to get the due because the grass is so
dry right now.
I was doing a  field yesterday that has tall fescue and vetch the vetch was
so thick that it  plugged the mower and broke the shear pin on the feeder drum.
that's a bummer  because it take two people to replace it.
Earlier in the season like about 2  weeks ago we had to use the moisture
meter we had bales that were over 40 and  lots that were in the high 30s now we
are lucky if it reads  anything.
Haying is quite a lot of learning what where and when to mow  and bale and
what type of equipment to use.  It ain't for the week of heart  or the lazy
because when it says bale you had better bale it now even if you are  out all
night working.
We put up about 2000 bales this year not a lot for  some people but a lot for
us, we will by some big round bales for summer feed to  supplement this and
some alfalfa for winter feed. All in all its a lot of work  to fill two big
barns for the winter feed. Make one wonder why he has cows in  the first place.
If I had all the equipment paid for and just setting around  I would cut and
bale 5 acres but if I had to buy the stuff I would think it  would make more
sense to just go out and buy the stuff its a lot cheaper in the  long run.

Walt Davies
Cooper Hollow Farm
Monmouth, OR 97361
503  623-0460