[AT] Some ads from the 7/8/05 Lancaster Farming

Michael Miller sweetcorn70 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 9 08:41:40 PDT 2006

Mike,

For what its worth, I worked in a feed mill my senior year in high school.
While Speltz is a type of wheat, it is harvested for feed similar to oats,
it is not shelled all the way out.  In our local area of North Central Ohio,
we have a hard time growing good heavy oats.  Most people who plant speltz
use it in cow feed but I have seen some amish who use speltz for horse feed.
   THe main reason is it is cheaper than good heavy horse oats.  It also
yields higher in our area.  From what I remember, they are roughly the same
nutrient wise as oats as we replaced them pound for pound if they wanted
speltz, I think.

Mike