[AT] Some ads from the 7/8/05 Lancaster Farming

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Jul 9 03:15:49 PDT 2006

Around this part of the country, there are several ways you can legally
print money: real estate, mortuary, insurance, and "horse hay". All the
yuppies who have their 2 acre "farmettes" and a horse somehow are
convinced that horses need some kind of very special and very expensive
hay that comes in very small bales (so the soccer mom can throw it into
the back of their Hummer). I have to admit selling the same folks new
compact diesel tractors and "mini" manure spreaders.

While I realize that cows can eat stuff that might not be good for
horses, a lot of very nice oats and alfalfa that would otherwise end up
in round or large bales suddenly gets baled in to small bales and go
from 2 to 4 times what regular hay brings in. It is a good source of
extra income for many small farmers, especially dairy farmers in our
area (who are often not even breaking even on milk these days). And I
guess that spelt probably falls into this category.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

Religion--freedom--vengeance--what you will, A word's enough
to raise mankind to kill. -Lord Byron, poet (1788-1824)