[Ford-ferguson] 8N or 9N ? ?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Jul 7 03:08:33 PDT 2006

It was very common to "mix & match" parts when repairing the N tractors.
The engines and transmissions could be intermingled with no problem, and
if an owner's 9N engine was ruined, the local Ford dealer would
routinely replace it with what he had in stock: an 8N engine. The same
thing would happen today if your generator went bad and you went to New
Holland for a replacement - the parts man would hand you an 8N generator
(which would require all new mounting hardware, wiring, regulator, etc.)
and tell you that is what "the book" showed as the correct part. The
early 8N engines had the front mount distributor, adding to the
confusion. The only problem is that now you have two serial numbers -
one for the engine and another for the rest of the tractor.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

Religion--freedom--vengeance--what you will, A word's enough
to raise mankind to kill. -Lord Byron, poet (1788-1824)