[Steam-engine] Tod Engine Foundation Progress Report

Rick Rowlands jrrowlands at neo.rr.com
Tue Jul 4 09:55:58 PDT 2006

On July 1 the Tod Engine Foundation officially took control of the property behind the museum.  Over the past three days myself and two volunteers have been doing quite a bit of cleanup at the site and some interior demolition of offices.

Here is an aerial photo of the property from about four years ago.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=qvnj6v88f49f&style=o&lvl=2&scene=2079852

The original museum property is to the bottom left.  It is where the two semi trailers are parked.  The new property has two buildings, a 50' x 150' former truck terminal and a three bay garage.  The truck terminal has offices in the first 25' of the building with a 50' x 125' clear span area behind the offices.  The offices area are to be used as a visitor center and Foundation offices with the clear span area reserved for exhibits including our collection of small stationary steam engines and steel industry artiacts etc.  A portion will also be used as a machine and fabrication shop.

The truck garage will be the new home for the Tod Engine Works foundry which will be moving from Sharon, PA by the end of the year.

With the new property it is now possible to consolidate all of our collections at one site and to expedite development of the museum.  With the new property we are especially in need of volunteers to assist in construction. We have been lucky to have a few volunteers come in from out of town to assist for a few days at a time however more is needed if the project is going to be successful.

Have a happy Independence Day!

Rick Rowlands
Tod Engine Foundation
2261 Hubbard Road
Youngstown, OH  44505
330-272-4089
www.todengine.org
William Tod Co. 34" x 68" x 60" Cross Compound Rolling Mill Engine
Historic Mechanical and Materials Engineering Landmark