Loader arm length (was Re: [AT] My New Toy

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Jul 4 09:46:17 PDT 2006

I suspect that the reason for the long arms is often a trade off between
  traction and lift height. When I sold compact tractor for a living,
the first things a landscaping contractor asked was how much weight
could the loader lift and would it be able to load over the side of his
truck. The manufacturer can only put the loader rear supports back just
so far before they interfere with getting on and off the machine, and
the support height is limited by engineering. So if he wants, for
example, a 7' dump height, then the arms are are going to have to be
long enough to get that height, wherever that puts the bucket. At the
same time it is also critical that when the bucket dumps from full
height that the load clear the front of the tractor and go into the
truck or manure spreader, not come down on the hood!

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

The further one grows spiritually, the more and more people
one loves and the fewer and fewer people one likes.
  -Gale D. Webbe, clergyman and author (1909-2000)