[AT] OT - Laptop reccomendations - question on wireless routers...

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 3 19:41:52 PDT 2006

There are 3 wireless standards, A, B and G.  A is old and nearly obsolete.  G is upward compatable from B.  B is called 11Mbit, G is called 54Mbit.  There are some pushing G faster, I think using "furure" standards.  These are good for a few 100 ft. or so indoors, 300 ft or more outdoors etc.  I tried using wireless in various campgrounds and motels with mixed results.  In 2 cases, our "cheap" tent site was too far away, but a walk to the laundry room solved that.  I've seen a lot of "wireless done wrong" to the point of being unusable.  There is something else called WIMAX, which I think is wireless broadband, more of oa community wide or cell-phone service tha WI-FI.

I would be carefull with outdoor antena's vs. lightning.... seriously.  I've seen K-12 schools have a lot of network damage thru ethernet cat-5 cable.  The wireless AP's weren't the problem in those case.  I'd try a directional antenna hung under the eve or even inside a window facing the barn.  I'd turn on NAT on a your wireless router, your ISP may not let you have enough addresses for the printer and cameras.  Unless you want ANYONE using your wireless, like someone said, hide it and maybe even turn on security.  A good first step is to NOT broadcast your SSID, then you have to tell each system the name of YOUR wireless network.

I've been begging for some other choice of ISP, but there isn't one.  My "spot" in wild blue is sold out, they have to launch another satelite first.  I'm out of DSL range by a mile or more.  My dial-up connects at about 24Kbit, but transfer is little more than half that because of the number of users sharing the uplinks.

--0-163791756-1151980912=:55851

<DIV>There are 3 wireless standards, A, B and G.  A is old and nearly obsolete.  G is upward compatable from B.  B is called 11Mbit, G is called 54Mbit.  There are some pushing G faster, I think using "furure" standards.  These are good for a few 100 ft. or so indoors, 300 ft or more outdoors etc.  I tried using wireless in various campgrounds and motels with mixed results.  In 2 cases, our "cheap" tent site was too far away, but a walk to the laundry room solved that.  I've seen a lot of "wireless done wrong" to the point of being unusable.  There is something else called WIMAX, which I think is wireless broadband, more of oa community wide or cell-phone service tha WI-FI.    </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I would be carefull with outdoor antena's vs. lightning.... seriously.  I've seen K-12 schools have a lot of network damage thru ethernet cat-5 cable.  The wireless AP's weren't the problem in those case.  I'd try a directional antenna hung under the eve or even inside a window facing the barn.  I'd turn on NAT on a your wireless router, your ISP may not let you have enough addresses for the printer and cameras.  Unless you want ANYONE using your wireless, like someone said, hide it and maybe even turn on security.  A good first step is to NOT broadcast your SSID, then you have to tell each system the name of YOUR wireless network.  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I've been begging for some other choice of ISP, but there isn't one.  My "spot" in wild blue is sold out, they have to launch another satelite first.  I'm out of DSL range by a mile or more.  My dial-up connects at about 24Kbit, but transfer is little more than half that because of the number of users sharing the uplinks.  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><BR> </DIV>