[AJD] Test-my thoughts

Bill Maki wrmaki at cfw.com
Mon Jul 3 09:11:40 PDT 2006

James,

I don't have anything with a pony motor so I don't know how they work
but I assume it has points and a condenser in the distributor.  I have
found that weak spark when there is spark usually means dirty points and
sometimes a bad condenser.  I have had good luck going from gas dripping
out of the exhaust to a smooth running two cylinder by cleaning the
contact surface of the points with some sandpaper.  I just fold it (150
grit or so) over so it has the sandy surface facing outward on both
sides, slip it between the contact surfaces of the points and polish
them up.  I think you can buy a thin file that does the same thing and
has no risk of dropping sand grains into your distributor.  My two
cylinder sits for months at a time between being run and corrosion often
starts on the electrical contact surface of the points causing poor
electrical transmission.  Sometimes I can't tell the corrosion is there.
The points look fine.  I may be totally off base and sending you on a
wild goose chase but it has solved starting problems for me in the past.
Good luck.

Bill Maki
Waynesboro VA