[Ford-ferguson] 2N 3-Point

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Jul 3 03:05:48 PDT 2006

It sounds like "deja vu all over again" - I went through almost the
identical process when restoring my 2N.
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/1946_ford_2n/>

What I found was that the linkage at the control valve had come away
from the spool valve rod under the hydraulic pump. This was caused by
rust freezing the spool in place (the spool is at the very bottom of the
pump, where water collects in the system, resulting in rust). I ended up
removing the pump, forcing the plunger out (gently) and polishing it
with fine steel wool until it slid back and forth easily. It is not all
that difficult to get the pump out, but you need to drain the oil out of
the transmission/final (which is probably due for changing anyway). The
service manual walks you through the removal. You don't want to take
much metal off the valve, or it won't have a tight seal, resulting in
poor operation (the hitch rising on its own, etc.). Replacement spools
are available if yours is damaged or worn.

The PTO is directly connected to the final drive, so if it turns when it
is engaged, it is working - it either works or it doesn't. If you remove
the pump, you need to removed the PTO shaft first, so you might as well
change it to a 1 3/8" version at the same time (unless you want to keep
the tractor "original"). Mine had been converted before I bought it.
Conversion shafts are available at your local New Holland dealer, or all
the usual on-line Ford tractor parts suppliers.

Feel free to contact me off-line at <mikesloane at verizon.net> for more
information on this.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

The further one grows spiritually, the more and more people one loves and
the fewer and fewer people one likes. -Gale D. Webbe, clergyman and author
(1909-2000)