[Steam-engine] Locomotive exhumation??

Paul Pavlinovich pjp at steamengine.com.au
Sat Jul 1 21:40:08 PDT 2006

Perhaps, perhaps not - depends on the conditions. Locomotive K88 was dredged up in New Zealand (it had been used to
underpin an erosion prevention bank) from a river and it has been restored and is now operational (it does have a new
boiler). Some others have also been dug up.

Read on here...
http://www.wbfp.netfirms.com/k88_restoration.htm

There is a little bit of info about other locos here in similar straits
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wb_class_(locomotive)

Cast iron is amazing stuff - I pulled a Ruston PB3 internal combustion engine out of a creak where it had been submerged
under mud and water for at least 50 years. While it does not yet run, I have disassembled and evaluated it for
restoration. The only things I will have to replace are the magneto drive gear and the magneto itself (it was gone). I
suppose the keys are cold and low salinity of the water. If the water is even lightly saline (EC of 300+) then it will
cause corrosion. The salt water and dissimilar metals combined (cast iron, brass, copper, white metal etc.) make a
battery and get eaten away in the process.

Back to the train... In the tunnel, even though it is caved in, I doubt it is completely sealed so there will probably
be some air flow (ever been in a mine? the winds are often very strong in a supposedly single-ended tunnel!). The boiler
is (as you say) likely destroyed but the rest of the loco may be in good enough condition to have survived.

Regards
Paul

pjp at steamengine.com.au
Emerald, Victoria, Australia