[AT] Case 580 shuttle problems

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Sat Jul 1 12:00:33 PDT 2006

A friend of Don Bowen (one of the founding members of ATIS) is having
shuttle problems with his Case 580C backhoe.

Don was experiencing trouble getting signing up again to the list, so
asked me to post Gene's e-mail myself.  I'll pass along to Don and
Gene any help or suggestions from anyone.  Thanks!

-  Richard

**************************
Case 580C CK-Loader/Backhoe Serial number 8950801
Engine 207
Backhoe 35
4-speed transaxle
Power shuttle transmission

The power shuttle is the problem. It works okay upon starting but
quickly loses power as it is used. In the beginning of the trouble it
would work if the fluid was overfilled for a few hours, then fewer
hours. The forward became powerless but reverse still worked. Now
this morning I used it very little, just loaded, hauled and dumped
one load, then was going to dig some planting holes but the shuttle
stopped working. For the first time it now will not move in reverse
as well as forward. I suspect it will run okay tomorrow morning when
I first start it up to get it back where it belongs and can be worked on.

I have talked to the Case dealership in Springfield (Missouri). The
parts manager says it could need a clutch kit or a seal kit but until
it is open and can be inspected it is impossible to know. He suggests
that we remove it and take it to their shop where the mechanics can
determine what is wrong.

I talked to a local tractor mechanic and he also says it could be a
number of things and there is no way to know until it can be
inspected. One possibility, judged by the overfilling having an
effect, is that the intake tube could be an issue. He suggested
several possibilities including a shaft that is badly worn and he
says if that is the case I might be best off buying a new
transmission. The Case parts manager quoted $2,196 for a new one.

It looks to me like the shuttle and the torque converter will come
out without splitting the tractor, but I am essentially ignorant of
how and why that happens.

As I said before, I have ordered a service manual and when it gets
here I will study it and determine if it is likely we can fix it
here. If not I will have it trucked to the dealer. I do not have a
concrete floor on which to work so splitting the tractor, if
necessary, cannot be done here.

Richard & Judy Walker
Monrovia, CA

richardwalker @ pobox.com