[AT] looking for ford belt pulley (Somewhat related)

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Mon Jan 30 20:54:46 PST 2006

This post brings up a subject which has always intrigued me, namely the
number of items made to improve, fix or correct problems made by the major
manufacturers.  Take, for instance, the Ford pulley and the 2 sizes of PTO
shafts which were available.  I just looked in a Montgomery Ward farm
catalog from 1961 and it lists and adapter which allows you to use your
1-1/8" Ford pulley on the newer 1-3/8" PTO tractors.  It consists of an
adapter shaft which goes from 1-3/8" to 1-1/8".  Also included is a casting
which you bolt to the pulley and then to the tractor, which moves the
pulley back about 5" to allow room for the adapter shaft.  Includes all
bolts and mounting hardware for a grand total of $13.50.

Over the years we have owned an IH Super C, an IH 230, an IH 340, and have
worked on a neighbor's IH 200, none of which would start correctly until
changed to 12-volt.  However, at one time they advertised a kit (of which I
personally only ever saw one) which mounted between the starter motor and
the bendix, and was a speed reduction of 2 or 3 to one.  This allowed the
starter to turn over faster instead of stalling out and actually started
the tractor much faster than direct drive.

Another item was a set of gearing for the IH M-series which changed some of
the gear ratios, filling in one of the speed gaps and making it more
useful.  All of these things were made by aftermarket companies.  I am sure
that there are hundreds more that I am unaware of and it would be
interesting to see a discussion of some of the other improvements and aides
that were available.

Just received my copy of Original Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet by Kenneth
Updike.  According to Amazon it was just published January 29, 2006.  Great
reading!

Greg Hass
 From the tip of Michigan's Thumb (not frozen)